Honolulu International Airport
As part of the larger statewide Hawaii Airports Modernization Program, the new facilities and improvements at Honolulu International Airport consist of a multi-year effort to transform HNL into a distinctive, functional airport, worthy of a first class visitor destination and to meet the growing needs of residents and visitors alike.
The major components of Honolulu International Airport Modernization Program are:
Other HNL Improvement Projects in Progress
- Installing new Explosive Detection System into the baggage handling system, to permit existing equipment to be removed from crowded ticket lobbies.
- Replacing major electrical and air conditioning systems.
- Replacing passenger loading bridges.
- Replacing escalators at the Overseas Terminal.
- Renovating ticket lobbies 4, 5, 7, 8.
- Upgrading the Access Control and Closed Circuit TV to expand security to various areas of the airport.
- Installing a 10MW Emergency Power Facility.
Other HNL Improvement Projects Completed
- Upgraded the Flight Information Display System throughout the airport.
- Added new food and beverage concessions.
- Added 11 new Wiki Wiki buses.
- Constructed a 1,800-stall parking structure between the existing Interisland and Overseas parking structures, increasing the total parking capacity at the airport from 4,500 to 6,300.
- Constructed a new airfield electrical vault to improve the reliability of the airfield lighting and control system.
- Constructed a new air-conditioned International Arrivals Corridor with moving walkways, providing an easy, secure route to the Federal Inspection Services area.